Skip to main content

The hour between 12 and 1

image

What time is it right now where you are?

As I write this, it's early morning here (Israel) and the middle of the night in North America.  Time for all reasonable people to be sleeping. 

Are you still awake?

It is also Elul, the time before Rosh Hashanah when we make the changes in our lives so we can start becoming the holy people Hashem wants us to be.

When we lived in North America, it was nice having friends in Israel because I could chat with them late at night.  For them it was morning; their kids had already gone to school.

And I was up much too late.

Here, I find the same thing happening in reverse.  When it's late at night here, everybody's running around back in North America, getting supper ready, relaxing during the evening.

And I am STILL up much too late.

The hour between 12 and 1 is the worst.  Maybe you know the feeling.  The thought that you should just shut down and go to bed?  The sense of diminishing returns. 

I am nowhere near as productive as I think I will be between 12 and 1.  Anything I start to do during that time takes twice as long and goes more badly than I ought to.  A sign, perhaps, that I should just get into bed.

And yet... if I do push through and stay up past 1, I hit a weird second wind, and I actually get a lot done.

It's very tempting.  The kids are finally asleep, and the house is so quiet. 

The only downside is not being as alert, as helpful, as patient and kind in the morning when the kids wake up.

That's a big downside. It’s a problem.  So I'm trying to be more sane about nights and mornings.  Like a compulsive dieter, though, I have been here before and it has never worked out.

Are you a morning person or a night person?
Perhaps you believe there's no such thing.

Whatever I think (I'm still not really sure – when I have to do mornings, I can, even super-early mornings, on a consistent, regular basis), I've never managed to get my body to agree to the proposition that mornings are for waking and nights are for sleeping.

Remember having a newborn and trying to get their schedule on track with the rest of the universe?  Trying to convince them to sleep through the nights and be awake during the days?

It's sort of like that with me.

At this time of year, heading into yamim tovim that I know will sap all my energy, I want to be at my best.  So even though we're not big on resolutions, that's mine for this Elul - to sleep.  And give my family my best.

Is there something stopping you from being your best?  What is it, and how will you change it this Elul?

Hey, the Kindle version of my book Penguin Rosh Hashanah will be free the entire week leading up to Rosh Hashanah (Sept 19-23, 2014).  And in an exciting development… I’m just putting the finishing touches on the follow-up, Panda Purim.  Will this series include only animals that start with P?  I thought about platypuses for a second… but they’re kind of horrid looking.  Any thoughts for what animal / yom tov I should do next?

Penguin Rosh Hashanah, by Jennifer Tzivia MacLeod Panda Purim, by Jennifer Tzivia MacLeod

Tzivia / צִיבְיָה

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th