Skip to main content

Fun day at Humber – Trip #12 of 15 :-o

DSC02872Looking at my spreadsheet, it’s hard to believe that I have organized FIFTEEN homeschool field trips this year – that’s more than 1 a month.  Indeed, there are two this month – one this week and another next week.  Here’s a complete list, while I’m feeling braggy:

 

 

 

  • Humber Arboretum - Fall Animal Tracks nature program
  • NFB – Claymation animation program
  • FREE Four Seasons Centre Concert November 1st:  Reeds & Keys (we didn’t even end up going to this one!)
  • Royal Winter Fair (this was really just a group ticket order; we didn’t go together)
  • FREE Four Seasons Centre Concert January 12th:  Peggy Baker Dance Company
  • FREE Roy Thomson Hall Bach Children’s Chorus
  • NFB – Pixilation animation program
  • Toronto Symphony Orchestra Junior Concert
  • FREE Roy Thomson Hall Orpheus Choir
  • NFB – Pixilation animation program (we didn’t go… because once was enough)
  • Bruce’s Mill Maple Syrup Trip
  • Humber Arboretum – The Huron People spring nature program (this was today’s trip!)
  • Zion Schoolhouse – authentic “settler school day” half-day program (next week)
  • FREE Four Seasons Centre Concert May 15th:  German Romanticism: Fairy Tales and Fantasy
  • FREE National Ballet Centre guided tour & rehearsal (coming up in May)

Today was our second Humber Arboretum trip of the year.  Last year, we came three times, but this year, we did a maple program somewhere else.  It’s nice seeing the children totally at ease now in this familiar setting.  I had a couple of drop-outs and flake-outs (ie people who have a million excuses and then don’t pay), so it was a slightly smaller group than usual, but the minimum number of people is 20, so I didn’t feel terrible.

They do a classroom component and then you go out and schlep through the woods.  Today, we actually stuck mostly to the sunny, non-wooded areas, which was nice because it was a VERY chilly day. 

Mostly, Gavriel Zev kept to himself or hung out with a 4-year-old friend.

DSC02868

Naomi has a special “field trip friend” she enjoyed hanging out with – just to her left in the first picture.

DSC02871  DSC02877

We saw the most beautiful hawk circling the pond and I actually managed to catch a picture of it (look closely, or click to enlarge) just after it splashed down to catch a fish or something in the water.

Dsc02879wings

The friends we were with on the bridge watching the hawk actually brought along notepads, colouring supplies, etc., so they could sketch in situ, but I had the kids do nature drawings and VERY short narrations when we got home:

 DSC02883  Dsc02885nameDSC02884

Gavriel Zev’s is hilarious.  He drew a turtle we’d seen, but the turtle is saying “I love you.”  I told him he could make the title something like “turtle” or “Humber” and that I’d spell it for him.  He said “I know how to spell TURTLE!”  And indeed… perfectly!  Then, he was sick of writing, so he abbreviated his name at the bottom (“Gavl”) and the date (“W”)!

Even though I said to draw something we’d SEEN, meaning something in nature, Naomi drew one of the Huron longhouses we were learning about.  We didn’t actually SEE one, except in pictures… but hers is good enough anyway.  She learned something; that’s good enough.

I wanted somebody to paint, and brought out the watercolours, but nobody was motivated to do it, so I grabbed the watercolour markers for my own illustration, which I think came out not too badly… for someone with ZERO drawing talent.  It’s always great to have toddlers to compare your drawings against!  (as long as I don’t look at Ted’s art, right?)

Anyway – good times had by all.  I like going on trips so much it ALMOST makes up for the hassle of organizing them and dealing with people’s flakiness.

Here’s a question I’ve asked before

When it comes to homeschool field trips, are you a lone wolf, or a pack wolf?  Do you prefer to go it alone – spontaneously, away you go! – or have others along to share the experience (and resources, like teaching staff)?

Comments

  1. I think I'm more of a lone wolf, but only because most of our friends tend to be of the busy, off in all directions variety. :o)

    Of course, if we lived closer to you, I would be begging to do some of those field trips! You've organized some very interesting ones!

    Peace and Laughter,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just getting in to the group trips. We started homeschooling last summer and went to one Humber trip you organized (which was excellent, animal tracking. My son still talks about what he learned.

    I must admit, I was one of the flakes that didn't show up to the maple bush because of our old clunker of a car taking a leave of absence on the DVP. But at least this flake paid!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th