Skip to main content

Lapbooking Story of the World (for free)

Wow!  If you are using Story of the World Volume 1 for Ancient History, or are planning to use it at any point in the future, head on over here and download the FREE lapbook this mama put together over the year that she and her kids studied Volume 1.  It’s on her blog, but in my experience, you shouldn’t wait until you’re ready to use it, because resources come and go in the blog world.  This one is worth the not-much space it will take up on your hard drive.

As this is an all-year project, we use the lapbook intermittently.  There is one small, very easy mini-book for each chapter.  They are very professional and fun pieces that the children can put together at least partly on their own.  I do a lot of the cutting and pasting, though, leaving the creative stuff for Naomi, and some backup cutting and pasting by Gavriel Zev. 

By “intermittently,” I mean “every once in a while, when we remember.”  So it could be a month, or 6 weeks, or whatever.  When the mood strikes me, I print out all the pieces we need to catch up, some on cardstock, some on coloured paper (though we’re all out of coloured paper now), some on plain paper, as is appropriate for each mini-book.

And then we just sit down and go through them!  I let Naomi choose which ones she feels like doing first.  Tonight, I also did one with Gavriel Zev.  Sometimes, I’ll put the envelopes/pockets together and have Naomi cut out the bits that go inside.  Sometimes, I split the cutting with her 50/50, because she’s easily overwhelmed.

DSC02296I told her we should talk about Phoenician traders before she filled this wheel in for Chapter 15, The Phoenicians, because there are eight spaces to write in and it’s been a few weeks since we covered this material.  So of course she raced ahead and did it herself while I wasn’t looking!  She did great, though a couple are more made-up than anything we read in the book.  Her eight were:  bowl, cup, “itself” – she filled in the area with purple to represent the purple dye the Phoenicians made and traded, wood, gold and silver, books (she made this up, I think!), and glass Jug (shown here, but I made her write “glass” on top of the word jug, because none of hers reflected the amazing Phoenician glassware tradition we learned about).

DSC02295Meanwhile, here’s Gavriel Zev cutting and folding the pocket for Chapter 4, the Old Kingdom of Egypt.  I skipped the ones with pockets at first, but now I figure, why not go ahead and assemble the pockets…?  So we did!  Here are the “artifacts” to go inside that pocket:

DSC02301

Gavriel Zev also cut out the “story” to go inside an accordion book I cut out and folded for Chapter 16, The Return of Assyria:

DSC02304

Sometimes I forget how much I love lapbooking!  Which is why this is great to keep coming back to.  Now we’re pretty much caught up, though we still haven’t done Chapter 14, The Israelites Leave Egypt.  I figured they were “plagued out” after the parshiyos of the last two weeks, so I assembled the mini-book and we’ll fill it in later on.

Here are a few of the bits and pieces in here.

  DSC02300  DSC02302 DSC02303  DSC02305 DSC02306

When we’re finished for the evening, we go through each of the books, in numerical order, fitting in a lightning-quick fast-forward of the chapters so far before the kids have a chance to realize they’re STILL learning!

 DSC02308

In between fits of creativity, everything stows away inside a nice, strong, medium ziploc baggie.  Of course, if anything happens to the baggie before we have a chance to put together the lapbook… well, that would be a Very Bad Thing.

Seriously, download this lapbook now even if you’re using another program for ancients.  It’s great!  The author started working on a similar lapbook for Story of the World, Volume 2, The Middle Ages, but it’s incomplete, and she hasn’t updated her blog since October.

Comments

  1. Okay, so here's the plan. You come over and do lapbooking with the 2 children who would LOVE it (while #1 child retreats elsewhere) and I'll read endless readalouds to your kids. Deal? :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... and who pays travel expenses? :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link for the download doesn't link to anything but an empty page. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad! I guess the site is finally down. If you email me (Tzivia at tzivia.com) I can send you the components.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jennifer. Would you be able to email me the components as well. I tried using the link but it is not working.

      Delete
    3. Yes, please email me. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. Hi Jennifer. Could you email me the components also? We are starting our first year of homeschooling and we start SOTW next week.

      Delete
    5. Nicole,
      Only if you send me your email address! Happy to keep providing this, but you HAVE to email me for it, not just comment here.

      Delete
  4. As of Feb 2017, I'm still happy to send the lapbook components BUT you must email me - tzivia "at" tzivia "dot" com, not just leave a comment.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th