Skip to main content

Can’t beat ‘em…

image I subscribed to The Old Schoolhouse.

My blog posting software doesn’t offer any fonts smaller than that, so I can’t hide it any better.

Am I ashamed?

First of all, my love affair with magazines:  everybody who lives with me knows this – I love magazines!  They are slippery and juicy like delicious noodles, ready to slurp up and enjoy.

Second of all, homeschooling.  Articles, support, from a religious perspective – albeit not my own religious perspective.  Elisheva was appalled when she came across a copy in the bathroom and saw an article all about people’s reasons for homeschooling:  they didn’t want to abandon their kids to lousy and immoral public schools; they looked in their Bible and found verses that led them to believe it’s a parent’s responsibility to educate her children.  They wanted their kids’ study to acknowledge not just the world itself but the Maker who formed it. 

Well.  Huh.

I pointed out that these were all things a Jewish parent could say just as easily, but I think she was still appalled.

For whatever reason, I feel I have more in common – at least in terms of what I want in a magazine – with these religious homeschoolers who are making their way through the ins and outs of homeschooling than I have even with some Jewish homeschoolers.

A while back I ordered a Jewish curriculum resource I will not name and have since been mildly embroiled in negotiations over how much it will cost to ship the thing to me here in Canada.

The person who contacted me – in addition to apparently having no SHIFT key on his computer – has not only spelled the product name wrong in EVERY SINGLE EMAIL (it has one “tricky” word, but it’s an English word that any spell checker would pick up).

Here’s this person’s first email on behalf of this organization (I suspect he/she is actually a child):

if there is another way you'd like to receive the {whatever-it-is} please let me know, if not please submit 12.00 to paypal for shipping costs. we hope you enjoy the {whatever-it-is}.   all the best  {his/her name all in lowercase}

I said that was too much money for what it is and suggested a couple of other options based on my perusal of the USPS website.  A second email arrived today:

hi [no punctuation, just a new line] i just sent the {whatever-it-is} out by {service} plus the cost of the envelope which came to 7.50 i was told the usa is holding canada mail for the last 2 weeks due to the mail strick. so there will be a back log besides the time it actually takes for book rate to arrive. please send a check for 7.50 to {organization} as the money that was laid out is money from {organization} all the best {his/her name all in lowercase}

Meanwhile, I consider myself LUCKY that this Jewish organization is selling their curriculum thing to me directly, because some – like Tal-Am when I contacted them – would not.  Shy Publishing, who put out the Migdalor Series we use for Hebrew, were friendly enough and open to homeschoolers ordering directly, but the actual rigmarole of paying and shipping were somewhat complicated.

So – consider that an explanation.  I want to see what the goyim are doing, because (in part) it gives me hope that we too will attain some degree of mainstreamishness in our Jewish community, as they have in their Christian world.

Someday, perhaps, we will no longer be seen as nuisances and exceptions by companies selling Jewish curriculum, but as a valid and thriving niche, if not equal to schools in buying power, at least philosophically and ideologically powerful enough to have a say in what our kids learn and who they learn it from.

Leave it to me to come up with the most complicated reason ever for subscribing to a magazine, huh?

What homeschool support resources could you not do it without??? 

And… if you’re Jewish, how do you deal with the lack of “cred” given to Jewish homeschooling by publishers and curriculum folks?

Comments

  1. I know I'm not technically "there" yet but it does bother me that there is a lack of Jewish curriculum and an abundance of Christian. I have decided not to purchase curriculum that otherwise looked good because they included too much religion in with the material itself.
    I don't have any homeschool support resources that I could do without although a friend of mine does pass some homeschooling magazines down to me (Christian based).
    I think you're right, that email was written by a child. A very young one at that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th