Skip to main content

Parsha Poem: בְּמִדְבַּר / Bamidbar

בְּמִדְבַּר / Bamidbar / Numbers 1:1-4:20: Read ithear itcolour it.

Printable PDF version available here.

Parsha narrative overview here
No copywork this week – check back at the regular page next week!

Thanks to Marc Chagall for this week’s amazing paintings!


image We’re counting and counting and counting again,

Counting through snow and counting through rain;

Hashem counts the Jews to show we’re unique –

Each one so special, each day of the week.

 

Six hundred thousand – oh, my, how we’ve grown,

Once a family of twelve, Hashem’s bounty has shown;

Separate still, serving in their own way,

Was the shevet of Levi, still known to this day.

 

You’d think that a people who’d been under stress,

Would not have grown so to be more – only less;

But slavery truly helped Am Yisrael,

We grew, for Hashem and his brachos can’t fail.

 

image But in all this counting and naming of sons,

Two are quite absent – so who are those ones?

They’re the children of Moshe, left off of the list,

For they grew up in Midyan, and so they are missed.

 

I sometimes wonder if Moshe regretted,

Leaving his children when he left and abetted,

The rest of his nation in their time of need –

Instead of remaining and growing his seed.

 

It sometimes is true that a leader’s own kin,

Are not always where his hard work can begin;

And it also is true that despite their strong roots,

All plants must work hard to sprout their own shoots.

 

So perhaps Moshe spent too much time on the road,

Or perhaps his two sons could not carry his load;

But this parsha shows too that, despite this sad lack,

Hashem found a way to pay Moshe right back.

 

image For we learn in this parsha that a teacher can be

A parent of sorts in Hashem’s family;

When it lists the children of Aharon right there,

They’re “descendents of Moshe,” for his love and care.

 

A family is not just the folks that we’re born to,

It’s also the people who do what they’ve sworn to;

Raising each other in Torah and love,

And sticking together when push comes to shove.

 

So let’s count them and count them and count them again,

Counting through slavery, counting through pain;

Counting shows, Hashem knows, that we’re not all the same –

And He loves us so much that he calls us by name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th