Skip to main content

Oil & Light: Melted-Wax Stained Glass for Chanukah

oil light 011I could have sworn I blogged about the melted-wax craft I did a month or so ago, but I guess I didn’t:  it was a stained-glass leaves project that I first found at this blog (via the Crafty Crow).  I’m sure I have pictures of them somewhere, but never mind.

I tried both the oil-style shown there and the watercolour-paint-resist style.  The leaves were interesting but not fabulous, but I did decide to revisit the project for Chanukah:  I mean, OIL and LIGHT (thanks to the luminously translucent melted wax)… it’s PERFECT!

I am so happy I did. 

When we did the leaves, I had to resort to using preheated cookie sheets and they cooled off so fast they barely worked for more than a couple of minutes of melted-crayon colouring.  (the cookie sheet method illustrated)

This time, I dug up an old electric skillet that I never use because the teflon is all flaky and horrible.  Great for melty craft projects!

(I hate when being a packrat pays off like this, because it only encourages me to hold onto EVERYTHING in case I eventually discover a use for it)

oil light 003I warned the kids sternly about touching the pan.  See how careful Naomi is being?  I had her choose an Internet picture but also draw one freehand to colour in with wax. 

Warning:  this process is utterly addictive once you get started.  First, the crayon gets a little soft and then it starts oozing everywhere.  It’s like paint!  The colours get deeper and richer as well and you get a huge area of solid bright colour with almost no effort – just glide the crayons around the page. 

[Weird aside you can skip if you want:  I have discovered that one brand of crayons in our box MASSIVELY outshines all the others.  They are Playskool, and not only do they melt at a safe low temperature, they’re big, chunky crayons.  Unfortunately, I have no idea where we got them, and the Playskool website gives no indication that they even make crayons.  The blogger I got the idea from says she uses Melissa & Doug for these projects, so I even went out and bought some.  They are nice crayons, but didn’t find they melt well at all.  Different brands will differ wildly (Crayola didn’t work with the cookie sheet method at all), so be sure to test various brands of crayons at various temperatures before turning them over to the kiddies.]

Naomi thought it would be like regular crayon-colouring and was pretty cynical at first (for some reason, we all dislike crayons!).  But she and even GZ warmed to it (ha ha ha) almost right away.

 oil light 005 oil light 008 

Here, he’s brushing his picture with paint.  I told Naomi to choose one “wash” technique for each picture – paint or oil – so she could see the different effects.

She chose oil for her preprinted menorah:

oil light 012

Then paint for her freehand drawing.  Ted said the black paint (see top picture) was too grim, so I was trying out other colours and she did, too).

oil light 013

(the crayon areas are a little glowier than the paint ones… but it’s subtle)

Gavriel Zev chose BOTH paint and oil!!!  (he chose this colouring picture himself)

oil light 010

There’s a lot of hassle, but arts and crafts must be my one of my favourite parts of homeschooling… when I was working full-time and the kids were in school full-time, we almost never did crafts together.  They got their artistic muscles worked out at school anyway (so what’s the point) and we were all too drained at the end of the day/week to even think about tackling a project.

Yup, I oil light 014 homeschooling!!!

(This one was mine – the heart is outlined in black melted crayon and all the rest is paint:  pink on the outside, blue on the inside.  I like the batik effect around the crayon outline…)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th