Skip to main content

Saying Kiddush? In Hebrew? With kids?

I’m supposed to be shutting down the computer, but I wanted to say something here about kiddush, because a lot of people are stumbling upon a previous post about pronunciation in Hebrew (modern vs traditional, Yiddish/Ashkenaz vs Sefard, etc).

That post is interesting, and philosophical, but not very helpful, especially for someone who’s interested in starting to say kiddush, whether by themselves, with their family, with their kids, whatever.

I don’t usually do “Judaism basics” on this blog because it is covered so well elsewhere (like at Tracey Rich’s wonderful Judaism 101 site).  But I do remember being a beginner, long, long ago, and being impatient and eager to find information wherever I could. 

First of all, this is what your kiddush doesn’t have to be:

  • In Hebrew.
  • Read perfectly.  (okay, Ted would be upset if he read this, because I do get picky about his… so call me a hypocrite)
  • Sung out loud.
  • Said over wine.
  • Said over terrible, sticky-sweet “sacramental” wine

What do you need, to make kiddush?

  • Grape juice or wine (technically, you can make kiddush over some other beverages, but why…?) (sweet or dry wine is fine; whatever you like best)
  • Siddur (prayerbook), or prayers swiped from the Internet (audio versions to listen to here)… in any language you understand
  • As many people as you can possibly gather around you… preferably people you like and/or love and/or want to share a meaningful experience with.

(Oh… also; light candles first, while you’re at it.  Why not?)

Now, if you have kids with you, you are super-duper-extra-terrifically lucky… because this is the point where you sit down, sigh, look around at each other, hopefully eat a nice meal, or at least a piece of challah. 

Even if you can’t sing kiddush, maybe you could throw in a Jewish song or two afterwards… anything you know is fine to start, even that awful “David Melech Yisrael” (leave out the “pizza pie” line) or “Dreidel, dreidel” if it’s anywhere near Chanukah.  We don’t sing a lot around our table, and I really want to try to change that now that we don’t have any really little babies.

Whether you have only grownups or whether there are kids at your table, you can get into the weekly parsha.  There is something for everybody at Aish HaTorah’s site here… and the UAHC site offers a reform slant here.  For a challenge, there are quizzes for each weekly parsha (along with quiz rules) from the Pardes site here.

Whatever you do with this special time, the week is over and these 25 hours between kiddush and havdalah are your gift… use them to linger with the people you have gathered around you.  Make it Family Games Night, play charades with friends, make it Quiet Reading Night… whatever you do, it’s your special day.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th