Skip to main content

The wonderful world of sub-irrigation!

I caved and decided to do an experiment in self-watering (ie sub-irrigated) veggies.  I was inspired by this site, which has some decent info on urban gardening, though it’s a little harsh on the term “sub-irrigated” (I don’t think the term “self-watering” is all that confusing unless you picture the little planter running back and forth to the rain barrel (as I have been doing ALL week – it’s almost empty!).

Total project cost:  $11 , plus soil/compost I already had, plus an DSC03418X-acto knife I bought myself and some duct tape plus a storage tote bin we already had (yeah, so there are kiddie clothes that used to be inside it strewn all over the living room now – so what???).   $6 for the EPS foamboard (which actually was large enough to do two boxes easily), and $5 for the pipe – I went for the premium “elbow-bend” pipe so the bottom wouldn’t rest flat on the bottom of the tote box.

Total time:  about half an hour, in several installments due to kiddie-interruptions. 

The low cost and low time committment were what really appealed to me.

Here are the steps:

DSC034201.  Make a criss-cross grid at the bottom of the bin.  I guess you could make it neater than I did, but so could I if I didn’t have kids screaming in the background.

The website I got this idea from explains that this grid creates nine “pockets” (like tic-tac-toe spaces).  The four corners will be soil “wicks” to seep the moisture upwards.  The other five squares will serve as the water reservoir.

DSC034212.  Cut a piece of foamboard that fits snugly about 1/3 of the way up.  I used a hot knife from the stove to punch the holes.  You could use a drill if you wanted to wake up the baby (I didn’t).  Use an X-acto knife to cut a hole big enough to fit the fill tube.  Use duct tape and spare pieces of foam to “snug” the board so there are no big gaps around the edges (so soil won’t fall through much).

 

3.  Add extra perlite and vermiculite to a smallish amount of planting mix.  This will be for the corner “soil wicks” and you want them to be extra-absorbent to make sure they transport the water nicely.  Pack this “enhanced” soil mixture really well into each of the four corners.

4.  Fill the rest of the planter with regular planter soil mix (I used PC Magic Planter soil mixed with city compost, mixed with PC cow manure).

5.  Position the planter where you want it – it’s going to get heavy!  Water the soil well (oops, I forgot to do this!) and fill the reservoir.  Water will be at max capacity now.  Drat, realize too late that you have omitted to include an overflow hole that will let you know when the reservoir is full-up and stop the thing from drowning if rain gets in.  Eek.  :-o

Note to self:  MUST add overflow hole, which will be much harder now that the box is full and planted.

DSC034226.  Add plants of your choice.  I figured this was a bit bigger than just one tomato needs (because of the rectangular shape.  It could probably hold two broccolis just fine, but one broc and one tomato will likely be a bit of a stretch.  Nevertheless, that’s what’s in there as we speak!

DSC03423What kind of tomato did I put in???  No idea, I’ll check in the morning cuz it’s dark back there now!  Oooh, on second thought, I zoomed in on the picture and the popsicle-stick tag is just barely visible:  Children’s Garden Roma.  (ie, seeds I saved from the Children’s Garden last summer).

Here it is, nice and close to the rain barrel just in case it ever needs more water.     :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th