Like the MamaLand Empire!

Have you joined the MamaLand Empire?
      Oh, yeah... and BUY MY BOOK, The Family Torah!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

A stabbing

There was a stabbing in the park across the street the other night (last night?); I passed all the cop cars etc on my way out and saw a news truck on the way back.
A neighbour phoned and left a message that "we have to do something."  Which left me wondering, what?  What is there to do???
 
Here's what I emailed her back tonight.  Like all my Deep Thots these days, not very satisfying, but it's a start.
Honestly, I don't feel concerned about that specifically... I try to make sure I am in the right place at the right time (guess I'll do all my drug deals away from that playground from now on).
 
I don't want to dismiss your legitimate fears.  There are always terrible things that could happen.  Most of the ones I can imagine involve my children (and refusing to nap is the least of it!).
 
It's too easy and too trite to say Hashem's in charge... I figure I'll meet him halfway and exercise reasonable precautions.
 
Bad things sometimes happen to good people; I know this and have no clue why.
I'm a good person; therefore, bad things will sometimes happen to me.
It seems to be the way things work.
 
We live with this tension all the time:  saying chas v'shalom it should happen to us, and also saying baruch dayan ha'emes when it does.
Sometimes, Hashem gets to decide stuff, and we have no clue why.

2 comments:

decemberbaby said...

Seriously?!?!????? The park with the woodchip playground? Oy... Robyn and Coby must be freaked out by that...

And you're right, what can we do?

Jay3fer said...

I think it was behind the school. NOT the woodchip park. So not right behind their house, b"h.