Skip to main content

Dirty, dirty girl!

DSC03149Yes, I love it!  Except they feel all gritty and dry-as-a-bone.

What did I accomplish today? SOooooo much!

Well, we had the unveiling for my father.  Big gathering at the cemetery, perfect weather, party sandwiches at Mommy’s house afterwards.

Freecycle:

~ Received a bunch of gardening magazine back-issues. 

~ Received a few (4-5?) wool diaper covers.  They need washing & lanolinizing, but should help out a bit.

Sadly, on the way to pick up the freebie garden magazines, I spotted a convenience-store garden shop on Roncesvalles and went in and they had an incredible selection!

Bought some curly parsley (pretty for decoration, but we eat flat because it’s easier to check for bugs, therefore, more “kosher”)  (in quotes cuz all veggies are kosher, but most bugs emphatically are not), new oregano, because mine seems to have died off, some Pink Pewter lamium, just for flower variety (the leaves look the same as White Nancy to me)… hmm… what else?  One more Heliotrope, just for good measure.  Oh, a purple sweet potato, which will hopefully serve as border edging / groundcover in the back sunny hill bed.

Ten bucks later, I picked up my free magazines.  :-)

Garden:

Lots of garden time – yay! 

Finally gave up on the peas, which I planted April 12th.  So before breakfast, I lumbered outside, Naomi Rivka in tow, to plant new peas, which I presoaked overnight.  She did a great job, poking the holes, pushing the peas in, etc.

As we were planting, I noticed a few shoots starting to come up from the previous planting.  Later today, there were a couple more.  Sigh.  I guess I just wasn’t patient enough, as usual.

But it does say on the packet to sow successive plantings every 2 weeks, so I hope these will provide us with a “late” crop.

Did not get the mostly-hardened-off chard or spinach planted today.  That was my goal but I kept forgetting to duck inside and check my spreadsheet to see where they’re supposed to go.  Oh, well:  tomorrow.

SFG beds!

The biggest project was finally getting the new square-foot bed settled into its spot. 

“Weeded” the last of the strawberries and bee balm out of the spot first, then dug holes for the corner posts, sank it in (using Ted’s level – yay, me, for doing it right!), filled in the bottom with cardboard and free Now Magazines, then a whole bunch of peat moss, storebought cow manure, perlite, vermiculite, and some city compost for good measure.  Tomorrow I’ll fill it up the rest of the way, hopefully, with a bag of PC Black Earth topsoil and the rest of my city  compost.

Yes, it’s expensive filling a raised bed, but this gives me 12 more square feet of growing area, and you only need to reinvigorate it each year with a bit of compost or manure, both of which are free.  So I think of this as a one-time investment in a new bed.  I skimped last year and paid the price in wimpy produce.

outside today 023Hard to get stuff done with the littles puttering around, alternating between playing nicely and screaming.  Gavriel Zev was shuffling around on his tushie and broke our little “angel” of the peas.

(Boy, do I like how this program (Windows Live Writer) lets you add new pictures on the fly as you think of them!  Picasa sure doesn’t do that…)

He was cracking her pretty hard against the walkway.  I told him to be gentle, so he patted her a few times, then went back to banging.  Her toes are a little shredded up now, too.  We found her in the trash, and her swimming pool cracked over the winter, so I won’t really cry if she is not salvageable now.

I will cry, however, if he discovers how much fun the dirt is to dig into.  As it is, he tends to panic if something is dirty.  Yay!  Keep it that way.

Oh!  He walked!!!

At supper tonight, at my mother’s house, he just got up and walked over to me, like he’d been doing it his whole life.  Did it a few more times, then went back to being “shy” and refusing to walk even a single step.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that my mother has carpeting with fairly thick underpadding.  It just feels safer. 

While he was walking, he was crowing and cheering the whole time.  I said he will get too used to the constant applause and refuse to do anything without it, to which my mother joked that he’ll climb up to the bimah for his bar mitzvah and we’ll all be cheering.

But I think he felt so invincible that he forgot to be careful and banged his head both into my elbow and into the underside of the table.  He looked so betrayed when he realized that even if you know how to walk, you can still get hurt.

Hey, I just realized – that’s exactly like teenagers getting a driver’s license.  They feel completely invincible with those thousands of pounds of steel all around them.  Not realizing that in fact they are more vulnerable than ever before…

Have I mentioned my big kids are never getting drivers’ licenses?  :-)))

Supper:

Mommy paid for Omni2, so we all had pasta.  Mmm…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th