Skip to main content

forgetting

I think I am forgetting my father.  He's missing this Pesach, but not in the big weird way I thought he would be.
 
Someone asked me in shul yesterday how we were doing, I guess meaning "without him," this year.
It was a nice, thoughtful person, and I wanted to give a nice, thoughtful answer.
 
But I just gave a stupid answer, which is - yes, he's absent, but not in the way I thought he would be.
 
See?  That's as close as I can get to articulating it!
 
Like maybe I thought it would be an empty chair, an empty plate, a seder filled with cloying reminiscences and a ghostly surreal overarching presence.
 
Nothing here is overarching.  The vomiting continues unabated.  No Great Moments of great moment.
Mommy is Mommy.
My sisters are my sisters.
The kids are kids, obnoxious as hell these days, mirroring my moods to a T.
 
We are all still puttering through, doing our roles.
Did I think the whole thing would fall apart, or just not happen?
Maybe.
 
Everything feels completely normal, I just don't like Pesach anymore.
I don't like these people I'm with very much anymore.
Like there's something wrong with me:  I don't like anything anymore.
 
Okay, I like seeds.  I look forward to seeds, sprouting and growing.
Green, green, green.
 
I read a novel once where somebody died... and every time the phone rang, the main character hoped it was someone good.
 
Except the someone good was gone.  Nobody else was who she wanted to talk to.
Every phone call was a disappointment.
 
For years after she died, maybe I still have it, I kept a "Call Me" card from my bubby, my father's mother.
It says "Now you can call Rose Lapell more often:  (416) 398-8520" plus a little code number at the end that made it possible for you to phone her free (it automatically reversed the charges).
 
How can you throw away something like that???
The chance to call up your bubby, for free, every time you want?
I'll take it.  It's Pesach; I'd love to talk to her, see how she's doing, tell her about these new great-grandkids, how my sisters are doing, how the big kids turned out.  She never met Elisheva Chaya.
 
She never met Ted.
Thinking how much I've changed in the last 13 years, she barely met me.
My father barely met me. 
 
I hope I turn out to be someone good, for somebody, some day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th